Thursday, August 30, 2007

36 Week Update!

Where to begin...

We finished the last of our pre-natal classes this week. The last two Saturdays were Childbirth Preparation classes, and then yesterday we had an "It's Sleepy Time" class, which is supposed to help you learn tips to helping everyone in the household get much needed sleep after the baby arrives. Nice in theory - but I am sure much more difficult in practice!!

I really enjoyed the Childbirth Preparation classes - especially since most of the class involved relaxation and breathing techniques along with Brad giving me a massage while they dimmed the lights and played quiet music... Needless to say I hope that those massages continue past labor and delivery!! :)

The second part of the class involved them scaring everyone by bringing out all of the wonderful "tools" that might become necessary during childbirth. The forceps weighed a lot more than I expected! They also showed us the vacuum suction cup and all the different needles they use for different types of medications. It was kind of disconcerting to hear her explain that the epidural needle is not just long, it is also kind of blunt because the anesthesiologist has to be able to "feel" what type of tissue he is going through to know that he is in the right place. Not a pleasant thought...

We have started writing our birth plan - which is basically a list of things you would like to have happen for your labor. Of course, there is no way to know exactly how the labor will go, so we will remain open minded as much as possible. I have decided that I want to plan on having a "natural" childbirth without drugs. I know that it is possible, and I think there are a lot of advantages if you can do it. It is hard to make any plans not knowing how the labor will go, but I know once we get to that point we probably won't care as much - as long as we are holding our little girl at the end!!

Tuesday this week we got to meet with the woman we have chosen to be our baby's doctor. Her name is Carol Johnson and she was really easy to talk to. We sat with her for about 45 minutes and not once did she make us feel rushed. She asked us a lot of questions, gave advice, and answered all of the questions that we had. The biggest advantage is that she works at the clinic here in Park City, so she is only a couple blocks from our house. Being a smaller clinic, they are also not as busy so it is easier to get an appointment the same day if needed. She will come to the hospital after the baby is born to check that everything is going well.

Today was our 36 week appointment with Dr. Lopez, the OB/GYN. We got to listen to our little girl's heartbeat and learn that she is still facing head down - which is what we want. :) She measured my uterus and it was 37cm. It usually measures with the number of weeks you are. (I am 36 weeks, 2 days - so it is really close. They don't worry about it unless you are three or more cm off one way or the other.)

I have lost three pounds since my last visit - basically lost the three that I had gained before my 34 Week appointment. The doctor was not concerned though. She said that she could feel that we still had lots of amniotic fluid in there, and the baby is still growing well. She did a cervical exam today (VERY UNCOMFORTABLE - but I'll have to get used to them as she will do them every week from here on out). I am 50% effaced, dilated to almost 1 cm and the baby is at -2 station.

For those of you unfamiliar with the terms:

Effacement: the thinning of the cervix. Your cervix starts out being two inches long, and 50% effaced would be a 1 inch cervix.

Station: How far the baby is "down" in the pelvis. Measured in negative and positive numbers. A -3 is a floating baby, 0 station is said to be engaged in the pelvis, and +4 is crowning. Here is a picture explaining it:



Dilatation: the enlarging of the cervix to 10 centimeters.

The doctor said that she definitely did not see us going into labor any time in the next two weeks - but that is as far out as she would predict. She did say that she felt that our due date was probably on track, maybe a little earlier. However, she also said that anything can happen and babies are good at surprising us so we will have to see. :)

At work they are hoping she doesn't come too early - as they have not been able to bring in the temp yet who will take my place during my maternity leave. They are hoping I will have some time to train her before I go... we'll just see if our little girl cooperates with that plan! :)

I am still feeling really good, and I think working and being active helps a lot. I am willing for our little girl to come when she is ready, whenever that may be. Although - I know as it gets closer and closer to 40 weeks I might change my mind. :)

Our next appointment is Wednesday, September 5th. We will post the next update then!